Translate

Monday, August 24, 2015

Homeless

A few weeks ago I drove south west for two hours to meet family members for dinner.  August is a big birthday month for our family, with a birthday almost every week!  We had an enjoyable dinner, in fact, I had a wonderful steak!  After dinner, I drove behind my sister as I would be spending the night at her home, instead of driving the two hours back.

As we maneuvered our way through the downtown streets that night, we had to drive under a bridge to get to the interstate. Driving under the bridge, it became even darker.  But I saw, or maybe felt, is a better word; I felt slight movements to my right. I looked to my right, and saw them.  There were about 50 of them, lined up and down the sidewalk.  I could see that some of them were conversing.  Some were already laying down, having already turned in for the night.  Some were sitting, but many of them were still standing, as if waiting.  For a crowd, it was quiet, surreal.  They looked like ghosts.  Faceless, voiceless ghosts. 

I watched in disbelief! I had never seen so many homeless people in one place, and it was so late at night!  I continued to look at them while trying to keep my eyes on the road, trying to take it all in. I even looked to see if there were children.  That would have broken my heart.  After driving by them, I called my sister. I could not wait until we got to her house to ask her. She answered, and I asked, “Were those homeless people?!” She responded, “Yep! Salvation Army must be full tonight.”  She later told me that the Salvation Army was right across the street, as well as another shelter around the corner from them.  But they often filled up fast.  I had not seen the signs for the shelters.  I was too shocked at the sight I had seen on the other side of the street to see anything else.

I drove the rest of the way to my sister’s house feeling somewhat guilty. I had just had a wonderful steak dinner, I had a great time with family, and I was blessed to be driving the vehicle of my dreams.  Later that evening as my sister and I chatted, I told her that I wish I had thought about purchasing enough McDonald’s burgers to feed those people.  She said she definitely would have done it if I had mentioned it. 

The guilt welled up in me again.  But this time, I told myself that I work hard every day.  I work hard for what I have, and guilt was not the correct emotion.  Compassion and sympathy were more likely what I should be feeling.  And I did have those feelings.  But I also knew that many of those people under the bridge had worked hard.  Many of them had probably lost everything because they had been working from paycheck to paycheck.  One bad set back was all it took to throw them onto the street.  I knew that in many other cases, mental illness was the cause.  I also knew that life has many twists and turns, and really it could happen to anyone, even if just briefly.  And I knew that it is never good to look down on anyone because we could one day look down and see our own reflection. 

I recently read a news story about a homeless mother who was sentenced to a five-year jail sentence.  The authorities apparently found out that she had lied about where she lived, so that her son could go to the best school in the area.  I have been praying for that situation ever since I heard about it.  It never ceases to amaze me how the legal system manages to make things worse for people, than they already are, instead of making things better.  Why are human beings so heartless towards each other? Why had I not thought of McDonald’s sooner? 

I don’t know the answer to the homeless problem in every city in our country, or around the world.  But I do know, that we can all do our part. I know that a gift certificate to a fast food restaurant is inexpensive.  A sandwich baggie filled with toiletries would help immensely!  And if doing either of those things would somehow take you out of your comfort zone, you could send money to your local homeless shelter.  They are always in need of assistance. I know that if more people looked at the crowd instead of looking the other way, it would help stem the problem.    


No comments:

Post a Comment