Translate

Sunday, May 19, 2013

Focus

I tend to be a focused person.  Once I decide to do something it gets done.  Otherwise, you got it, what's the point?  The one time I had a problem with this work ethic was when I started college right out of high school and was for many years a perpetual student.  That was until one day my Dad made a comment about starting something and not finishing.  His comment so convicted me that I decided to finish college once and for all. 

I decided on a school, signed up, and set a schedule that I stuck to for two years. When I graduated with my degree in May of 2012, it was with a pretty decent GPA.  During those two years of school everything took a back seat: sleep being one of those things. I didn't see the point of going back to school to slide through and not take classes seriously. 

When my youngest nephew was much younger, I had the opportunity to take him to one or two of his soccer games.  I used to drill the word focus into his beautiful little soul.  So much so that he wrote me a letter thanking me for taking him to his games and for telling him all about the word focus.  You know I still have that letter right? 

Lately I have felt  my focus trying to slip and since I have no intention of letting that happen, I have checked myself.  We have to recognize when we are slipping, and check ourselves before we find ourselves having to start over.  I don't know about you, but every minute counts once you pass age 40, although since we don't know how much time we have on this planet, we should make every minute count regardless of age. 

Know on what you need to focus, and stick to it.  Don't let high drama, people who have no goals, and people who don't want you to meet yours, take away your focus.  Remember, you only have one life to live.  Fortunately I also have friends and family who mean well and try to keep me balanced.  Thank you.        

Now that I am back in school I face another year and some months of four to five hours of sleep,  working a full time job, not to mention the one or two other commitments I have allowed on my plate.  Let's just say time is a commodity.  Yes, every once in a while I stop and go to the beach, go to the movies, or meet friends for lunch or dinner; but my friends and family know Civilla is in school, Civilla is focused.  That's not such a bad thing to be known for is it?  On what are you focused?     

No comments:

Post a Comment