Translate

Saturday, September 15, 2012

Warning Signs

I don't know about you, but many of the problems and issues I have faced in my life were preceded by warning signs.  It did not matter how major or minor the problem was, when I look back, I saw the warning signs. In some, well most cases, I ignored the signs or just missed them all together.  In fact, I can tell you in which problems I missed the signs and in which problems I ignored the signs.
You may see yourself in some of the following examples, either way, take this as a warning sign.  I have visited the country of Belize many times.  I love it there and look forward to another trip some time in the future.  On my last trip I lost a watch that I liked very much.  The issue?  I was warned that I could lose the watch.  How?  The clasp had been loose for quite some time.  I 'kept meaning to fix it' but never got around to it.  I can even tell you where I believe it fell off of my hand.  It was in the airport, the day of my arrival.  I reached back to grab my luggage and as I sat in the taxi driving away from the airport I realized my watch was gone.  I had that watch for about eight  years before I lost it due to ignoring the signs.  I have since purchased another watch, same brand, prettier; but I often think not so much of the watch, but about the warning signs.
If you are anything like me, you probably have similar stories.  The watch story was about ignoring the signs, let me give you an example of missing the signs.  Missing signs typically happen due to naivete or ignorance.  Sometimes missing the signs happen when you just want something so badly.  You know what I mean.  That person you really had no business dating--or marrying or that loan or business decision you just had a bad feeling about. 
The warning signs are all around us.  Some people call them 'that first mind', that 'gut feeling', or for those of us who are Christians, The Holy Spirit speaking to us.  Well, God does speak to His children.  He does warn us in our spirit against certain decisions, situations, or people; but he leaves the final decision to us.
The next time you see a warning sign, don't ignore or miss it.  Listen and take heed, or pay the price.  Yes, there is always a price to pay whether the warning sign was missed or ignored. "And Samuel said, Hath the Lord as great delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices, as in obeying the voice of the Lord? Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice, and to hearken than the fat of rams." II Samuel 15:22.  Please read the entire chapter, it really gives you the opportunity to see how important it is not to ignore or miss signs.  In fact, this story shows us how detrimental missing or ignoring signs can be--even unto death.  Its just not worth it to ignore or miss warning signs.  Keep your heart and your eyes open and listen.
Life is short, pay attention to the warning signs!  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment